Rainer Wenzl's Gallery
The most recent series of paintings, “Spruce and Gasoline “ is a group of watercolour and acrylic paintings that explore the relationship between people and their environment by focusing on the beauty that surrounds us in both rural and urban areas. The works establish a link between the landscape’s reality and that imagined by its conceiver.
The series “Fish Tales”, depict life in the maritime regions of Canada, Mexico and Costa Rica. Portrayed are everyday people going about their daily routine. These paintings incorporate newspaper clippings as a base for the figures. The newspaper clippings were taken from the editorial/opinions sections of current local newspapers pertaining to the location, time and current events.
Earlier paintings, mostly acrylics deal with the integration of historical alternative photographic techniques in pantings.
A select few of these paintings are available as prints. To view and purchase prints please visit the purchase section of this site.
Rainer Wenzl is a multi-media artist/photographer whose work has been published in many international publications and exhibited in numerous galleries. He retired from working as a visual arts/media arts teacher at a school of the arts in Toronto, ON, and now focuses on working fulltime as an artist in Shediac, NB.
Rainer uses a combination of contemporary techniques and traditional processes with watercolours, printmaking, leaded glass and historical photographic techniques.
His latest paintings explore the relationship between people and their environment by focusing on the unseen beauty that surrounds us in both rural and urban areas. The works establish a link between the landscape’s reality and that imagined by its conceiver.
* 2006, April Issue of “Shutterbug” – article “Digital Capture Input: ”Alternative” Output”
* 2001, March Issue of "Professional Photographer Magazine" - article on "An Alternative Printing Process, Bridging 100 years of photographic technology."
* 1999, April Issue, "The Rangefinder, Magazine for Professional Photographers" - article on "Alternative Photography".
* 2017 - Art Lab Studio and Gallery, Parrsboro NS - www.artlabstudios.ca
* 2013 to Present - Amherst Artisan Gallery, Amherst NS - Vice-president and exhibitor at an artisan co-operative gallery - www.amherstartisangallery.com
* 2010 to 2012 - The Artery Studio, Oakville ON - Co-owner and operator of a fine art studio gallery
* 2001 to 2003 - Gallery Wenzl, Oakville ON - Owner and operator of a fine art studio gallery
Contact Rainer via:
The Photographs in this gallery are created using a 250 year old photographic process known as gum-bichromate printing. Many of the images were created from a variety of photographs that were digitally merged to create one and then printed with numerous layers of colours using the gum-printing process.
To purchase prints from this collection visit the purchase section of this site.
All leaded glass works were created from original designs and use a variety of coloured glass and with copper foil and lead solder
To purchase a custom made garden lantern visit the purchase section of this site.